Since its establishment, ECSACON has made significant strides in fulfilling its overall objective of improving the standards of nursing and midwifery in the region. The college has risen to become a coordinating forum that speaks authoritatively for the nursing and midwifery professions and an advisor to the Regional Conference of Health Ministers (RCHM) on issues relating to these professions. Some of the key achievements of the College include:
- Enhancement of capacity building in nursing and midwifery education, practice and research.
- Production of materials and guidelines for regulation of nursing and midwifery, standards and scope of nursing and midwifery practice and education.
- Provision of a competitive field to enable the nurses and midwives from member countries measure the level of their competence and expertise against that of their colleagues.
- Collaboration and consultations among the stakeholders on matters pertaining to nursing and midwifery.
- Harmonization of the pre-service curricula for nursing and midwifery education and practice.
- Facilitation of the successful implementation of policy and advocacy programmes.
- Strengthening of the universal precautions for HIV/AIDS prevention and promotion of Safe Injection Practices for the Expanded Programme for Immunisation (EPI), including Infection Prevention and Control (IPC).
- Conducting scientific conferences and biennial meetings, where policy makers are accessed.
- Presenting ECSACON issues directly to Health Ministers through the ECSA Health Community reporting systems.